Some soybean farmers might have to revise planting plans
Wide rows take nearly 25 days longer to canopy compared with 15-inch rows and 40 days longer than 7.5-inch rows.
* Maturity group: Full-season varieties should be planted until June 15 for the northern quarter of the state, June 20 for the central half and June 25 for the southern quarter. Varieties should be dropped by one-half maturity group from the full-season variety for the area, such as from 3.5 to 3.0, after those dates and planted for another two weeks before farmers consider other alternatives. The lower the maturity group the faster the plant will develop flowers, pods and seeds.
"If you are in a very late planting situation, I suggest back-dating 90 days from the typical fall freeze in your region to determine if you have enough growing season to mature a soybean crop," Casteel said. "My hope is that you will not need to make that determination."
More information about late planting of soybeans is available at Purdue Pest & Crop newsletter.
Source: Ag Answers
No matching related articles at this time.
- What to do now in regards to the 2014 Farm Bill
- Mistakes that hurt a farm's credit
- Mycogen Seeds introduces four new sunflower hybrids for 2015
- China cuts cotton import quotas to boost demand for its own fiber
- Hog futures the exception to bearish ag market rule Monday AM
- Gangster herbicide program update
- Despite USDA approval, Enlist trait faces hurdles
- Activist investor Peltz pushes DuPont to split itself
- USDA approves Dow’s Enlist corn, soybean traits
- Mapping technology help farmers understand soil
- Improve nutrient balance to boost corn yields
- Study shows differences in understanding sustainable agriculture
- U.S. GMO labeling foes triple spending in first half of this year
- Activists fighting Golden Rice even more in 2014
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- East-West Seed signs marketing collaboration with Monsanto
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- USDA releases 2012 cash rents data report