Seven new cotton varieties for 2014 from Bayer CropScience
New Stoneville varieties available in 2014 include:
ST 5032GLT and ST 5289GLT offer the GlyTol, LibertyLink and TwinLink (GLT) trait package for full tolerance to both Liberty herbicide and glyphosate, and two proprietary Bayer Bt genes for effective management of major lepidopteran pests. ST 5032GLT has an early-medium maturity with strong yield potential and excellent fiber quality. This variety complements ST 4946GLB2 and FM 1944GLB2 in the cotton-growing regions east of the Mississippi River. ST 5289GLT is a medium-maturing variety similar to ST 5288B2F, the No. 1 variety planted in the south Delta last season. ST 5289GLT has excellent yield potential, especially on marginal soil types, and good fiber quality.
ST 4747GLB2 has the GlyTol LibertyLink Bollgard II trait package for full tolerance to both Liberty herbicide and glyphosate, and two Bt genes for effective management of major worm pests. ST 4747GLB2 has a broad adaptation with one of the earliest maturities in the Stoneville portfolio. With two years in the Cotton Agronomic Performance (CAP) trials, ST 4747GLB2 sets new yield standards in the Mid-South, Southeast, Carolinas and Virginia for an early season variety, with improved fiber length and micronaire in the Stoneville brand.
These new FiberMax and Stoneville varieties have been tested in CAP trials across the Cotton Belt against current and experimental Bayer CropScience varieties. CAP trials are planted on growers’ farms and managed with the same techniques used on their production acres. Bayer regional cotton agronomists use this on-farm data to determine which experimental varieties will be commercially available as FiberMax or Stoneville varieties.
“Every FiberMax and Stoneville variety we advance adds something to our current cottonseed portfolio,” Brehmer said. “Bayer CropScience was the first to bring double-stacked herbicide trait technology to the cotton market with GlyTol LibertyLink technology, and we’ve added to that trait package with GlyTol LibertyLink TwinLink. These new FiberMax and Stoneville varieties have better yield potential and improved fiber quality with the trait technologies that cotton growers need for the problems they experience on their farms.”
- Texas fall armyworms out early due to unseasonable rains
- Scout for western bean cutworm, western corn rootworm in Ohio
- AgSense releases iPad version of its WagNet Mobile app
- Ag markets posted divergent moves again Thursday
- Ag markets remained mixed at midsession Thursday
- Be wary of wheat quality after wet weather
- Don’t link bird decline and use of neonicotinoids
- Solar energy jobs increase, wind power decrease
- Comments end for Enlist Duo but not the fight
- Commentary: Setting the record straight on 'Waters of the U.S.'
- Setting the record straight on 'Waters of the U.S.'
- Look at fertilizer pricing 2013 vs. 2014