Seven new cotton varieties for 2014 from Bayer CropScience
Whether it’s tough-to-control weeds, insect pests, or adverse planting conditions, cotton growers face incredible challenges each year to produce high yields and excellent fiber quality.
Bayer CropScience announced seven new FiberMax and Stoneville cotton varieties for the 2014 season that will help growers meet some of these difficult challenges. Four new varieties from FiberMax and Stoneville contain new TwinLink technology with two Bt genes for seasonlong protection against lepidopteran pests. All seven of the new FiberMax and Stoneville varieties incorporate stacked GlyTol LibertyLink technology for a wide window of over-the-top applications of Liberty herbicide and glyphosate.
Bayer CropScience currently is the only company that offers cotton varieties with stacked herbicide trait technology for applications of herbicides at full labeled rates without injury to the crop. Thirteen FiberMax and Stoneville varieties with GlyTol LibertyLink technology are available in a range of maturities and adaptation across the Cotton Belt.
“Cotton growers want high-yielding, high-quality varieties with traits that give them flexibility to control the yield-robbing pests in their field, whether those are hard-to-control weeds or worms,” said Jeff Brehmer, U.S. product manager for FiberMax and Stoneville cotton. “Our newest FiberMax and Stoneville varieties provide just that: the best germplasm with the latest proprietary traits from Bayer CropScience.”
New FiberMax varieties available in 2014 include:
FM 1830GLT and FM 2334GLT offer the GlyTol, LibertyLink and TwinLink (GLT) trait package for full tolerance to both Liberty herbicide and glyphosate, and two proprietary Bayer Bt genes for effective management of major lepidopteran pests. Both varieties offer excellent yield potential and fiber quality with the added benefit of Verticillium wilt tolerance. Adapted for the High Plains, FM 1830GLT has an early-medium maturity, and FM 2334GLT has a medium maturity. FM 2334GLT has very similar characteristics to FM 2484B2F, with the added benefit of two herbicide modes of action and even better fiber quality.
FM 1320GL and FM 2322GL have the GlyTol LibertyLink (GL) traits for adaptation in areas of the High Plains. FM 1320GL has a very early maturity, the earliest offered from FiberMax, with excellent yield potential and good fiber quality. FM 2322GL is a medium-maturing variety with excellent yield potential and outstanding fiber quality.
- Protecting pollinators from insecticide exposure
- Texas fall armyworms out early due to unseasonable rains
- Scout for western bean cutworm, western corn rootworm in Ohio
- AgSense releases iPad version of its WagNet Mobile app
- Ag markets posted divergent moves again Thursday
- Ag markets remained mixed at midsession Thursday
- Don’t link bird decline and use of neonicotinoids
- Solar energy jobs increase, wind power decrease
- Comments end for Enlist Duo but not the fight
- Commentary: Setting the record straight on 'Waters of the U.S.'
- Setting the record straight on 'Waters of the U.S.'
- Look at fertilizer pricing 2013 vs. 2014