Scout corn fields for these five weeds in 2013
- Trend: In 2012, 13.3 percent of growers reported the presence of glyphosate-resistant Palmer amaranth on their farms, 4.6 percentage points more than in 2011.4
- Germination timing: Palmer amaranth has an extended emergence pattern, typically May to mid-July in the Southern United States. It has a rapid growth rate (up to 2½ inches per day) and high seed production, averaging 40,000 seeds per plant.6
- Found in: AR, AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, MO, MS, NC, NE, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WI, WV2
- Trend: In 2012, 16.5 percent of growers reported the presence of glyphosate-resistant waterhemp on their farms, 6 percentage points more than in 2011.4
- Germination timing: Summer annual; waterhemp germination and emergence extends late into the growing season.
- Found in: AL, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE,GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OK, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, VT, WA, WI, WV2
- Trend: Velvetleaf has been hard to control with glyphosate alone and continues to show prevalence among row crops.
- Germination timing: Summer annual. Emerges in the spring, sets seed in late summer/fall and dies.1
- Found in: AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY2
- Collaboration to develop bio insect controls
- Drones on the farm: What are the laws?
- Trillions of gallons of water lost in Calif. drought
- ASA urges action on pending biotech approvals in EU
- CLA sees potential progress in recent ESA litigation settlements
- Cotton, soyoil diverged from general ag strength Thursday night
- Deere to lay off more than 600 at four U.S. plants
- Slow pace of rail recovery stirs fear of future woes
- The four pillars of seeing opportunities in problems
- New DuPont Afforia herbicide introduced for soybeans
- RTK brings higher level of accuracy to farmers
- WinField introduces Answer Tech and Data Silo
- No El Niño in 2014? Drought-weary California in trouble
- Suspected Bt corn rootworm resistance in Pennsylvania
- BioNitrogen to build second fertilizer plant in Texas
- Commentary: Setting the record straight on 'Waters of the U.S.'
- Soybean aphid numbers on the rise
- Solar energy jobs increase, wind power decrease