S.D. agricultural land values increase moderately in 2014
Since 2009, all South Dakota regions have experienced increases in agricultural land average values. The smallest percentage increases in agricultural land values over the 2009 to 2014 period were in the two western regions, with a 50 percent increase in the southwest and 67 percent increase in the northwest region.
All other regions showed agricultural land average value increases exceeding 110 percent over the five-year period. The largest percentage increase in land values was 161 percent in the north-central region, while the second largest percentage increase of 135 percent occurred in the central region.
"It is interesting and important to note that the greatest percentage increases are occurring in the regions with considerable shifts to higher value agricultural land uses - which includes more corn and soybeans in the crop mix and some shift from pasture/forage uses to crop production," Dillivan said.
From 2009 to 2014, the largest dollar increases in average values was $3,129 per-acre in the east-central region and $3,030 per-acre in the southeast region, followed by increases between $2,000 and $2,100 per-acre in the northeast and north-central region. The smallest increases in average values ($205 and $207 per-acre) occurred in the northwest and southwest regions.
Reported values of South Dakota agricultural land are available at iGrow.org.
- Texas fall armyworms out early due to unseasonable rains
- Scout for western bean cutworm, western corn rootworm in Ohio
- AgSense releases iPad version of its WagNet Mobile app
- Ag markets posted divergent moves again Thursday
- Ag markets remained mixed at midsession Thursday
- Be wary of wheat quality after wet weather
- Don’t link bird decline and use of neonicotinoids
- Commentary: Setting the record straight on 'Waters of the U.S.'
- Look at fertilizer pricing 2013 vs. 2014
- Solar energy jobs increase, wind power decrease
- Setting the record straight on 'Waters of the U.S.'
- Comments end for Enlist Duo but not the fight