Risk assessment tool released on wheat scab conditions
As the wheat production season reaches critical stages throughout the country, the U.S. Wheat and Barley Scab Initiative is again offering two early alert systems for growers in areas at risk for Fusarium head blight, or scab.
At http://www.wheatscab.psu.edu/riskTool_2012.html, USWBSI offers a risk assessment tool that allows users to select for an assessment date, time period, region and wheat class, and is supplemented by commentaries from relevant state university plant disease specialists on weather and environmental conditions and the presence of scab or lack thereof.
Farmers can also sign up for text or e-mail alerts about scab conditions at http://scabusa.org/fhb_alert.php.
These periodic messages are designed to supplement the more in-depth data available online, with frequency and timing of alerts depending upon an area's level of risk for scab. USWBSI's primary online home is at http://scabusa.org.
- Ag markets posted a mixed showing before the long weekend
- Central American farmers generate energy from coffee wastewater
- Big potential in China for U.S. corn, livestock exports
- Outback Guidance introduces next generation auto steer systems
- Ag markets proved quite mixed again Friday morning
- Court ruling in Hawaii finds that crop protection is state law