Reaction to biotech wheat litigation article
Finally, we do not have any quantitative evidence that these temporary suspensions "cost many farmers significantly." Total white wheat sales are down only about 5 percent compared to last year at this date and are within the range of sales for the last five years...in a year when U.S. soft red wheat and competitive Australian white wheat were abundant and priced below soft white. U.S. soft white and club wheat export prices trended with other U.S. wheat prices. We would be very interested to know what source backs up this statement.
To answer Mercer’s question, it has been portrayed that the reason the wheat farmers in the lawsuit filed is because they claim to have lost money and the U.S. market was negatively impacted. It apparently is a point of contention that the markets reacted to cost farmers, and this probably will be a point of discussion in mediation.
We thank Mercer for providing clarification from the U.S. Wheat Associates point of view and pointing out that original reporting might have been misconstrued.
- Boxers or Briefs? Underwear buried to demonstrate unhealthy soil
- Tire makers race to turn dandelions into rubber
- Toro releases guide for using micro-sprinklers for IPM
- USDA to fund $25 million in value-added producer grants
- Crop futures mostly higher, livestock prices stabilizing
- Suppress Palmer pigweed with a ryegrass cover crop
- Deere to lay off more than 600 at four U.S. plants
- Slow pace of rail recovery stirs fear of future woes
- The four pillars of seeing opportunities in problems
- New DuPont Afforia herbicide introduced for soybeans
- RTK brings higher level of accuracy to farmers
- WinField introduces Answer Tech and Data Silo
- No El Niño in 2014? Drought-weary California in trouble
- Suspected Bt corn rootworm resistance in Pennsylvania
- BioNitrogen to build second fertilizer plant in Texas
- Commentary: Setting the record straight on 'Waters of the U.S.'
- Soybean aphid numbers on the rise
- Solar energy jobs increase, wind power decrease