Precision Planting releases multi-hybrid metering system
click image to zoom Initial research has shown solid yield improvement when the right hybrid is placed in the right yield environment. In any field, there are multiple yield environments that are determined by soil type, slope, drainage plus dozens of other attributes. In order to place the right hybrid in the right area of the field, each row of the planter will need to be able to frequently switch between hybrids as it moves from zone to zone.
Precision Planting is developing a retrofitable multi-hybrid metering system that uses the innovated vSet meter technology and the new vDrive electric meter control system. Meters are positioned to fit within the existing row unit frame and deliver seed to a single, standard seed tube. The electric drive system allows for instantaneous switching from one hybrid to the other – including the ability to plant each hybrid (and even each row) at different populations. The system utilizes the standard dual bulk seed supply tanks available on most planters.
After successful concept testing, the new technology will be tested over more acres and more environmental conditions in the throughout 2014. No schedule for commercial release has been determined.
- Activists fighting Golden Rice even more in 2014
- U.S. GMO labeling foes triple spending in first half of this year
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- East-West Seed signs marketing collaboration with Monsanto