Political dealing with farm programs
Contrary to the TV program, farmers may know what is behind each of the doors, but it is now up to the Congressional Ag Committee members to play Let’s Make a Deal. All three of the programs, Revenue Program, Target Price Program, and Supplemental Insurance Program potentially have a substantial price attached to them and that may spell their demise. However, Congress will have ways of cutting costs, by reducing subsidies for crop insurance, by reducing target prices, and by reducing the payment levels from the 80 percent range down to levels that are considerably less.
The Congress is a long way from approving any of these plans for implementation for the 2014 crop; however they form the basis for programs that have been given considerable support within the committees and are familiar to others in Congress.
Source: FarmGate blog
- Fall tests for nematodes help keep crops healthy
- National Agricultural Genotyping Center announces partnership
- Surging soy, U.S. dollar quotes highlight Friday futures trading
- EU’s leading plant scientists call for action to defend research
- Digi-Star introduces WeighLog hydraulic weighing system
- Surging U.S. dollar values weighed on ag markets Friday morning