Panama free trade corn import dispute
The Panamanian government has announced its intentions to not allow import of U.S. corn from January through April 15, 2014, which the U.S. Grains Council claims is counter to the U.S.-Panama Free Trade Agreement.
The Grains Council contends Panama is attempting to “exploit a loophole in the agreement.” There seemed to be no problem in 2013 as Panama did not restrict corn imports during any months, but 2014 is a different story.
Panama is attempting to protect its corn growers during the country’s harvest season. Panama prior to the FTA restricted imports during the months of contention. The Grains Council notes that domestic corn production is approximately 85,000 metric tons (3.3 million bushels) and annual imports total more than 350,000 metric tons (13.8 million bushels).
The Grains Council is hopeful that the U.S. Trade Representative’s office and Department of Agriculture’s Foreign Agricultural Service can work with counterparts in Panama for resolution of the issue. The FTA outlines dispute resolution procedures. But nothing is going to happen for resolution while the U.S. government is shut down.
- What to do now in regards to the 2014 Farm Bill
- Mistakes that hurt a farm's credit
- Mycogen Seeds introduces four new sunflower hybrids for 2015
- China cuts cotton import quotas to boost demand for its own fiber
- Hog futures the exception to bearish ag market rule Monday AM
- Gangster herbicide program update
- Despite USDA approval, Enlist trait faces hurdles
- Activist investor Peltz pushes DuPont to split itself
- USDA approves Dow’s Enlist corn, soybean traits
- Mapping technology help farmers understand soil
- Improve nutrient balance to boost corn yields
- Study shows differences in understanding sustainable agriculture
- U.S. GMO labeling foes triple spending in first half of this year
- Activists fighting Golden Rice even more in 2014
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- East-West Seed signs marketing collaboration with Monsanto
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- USDA releases 2012 cash rents data report