Online tool lets Florida producers, customers find each other
From farm gate to dinner plate, consumers are looking for more local food options. According to the latest USDA Census of Agriculture, industry estimates put local food sales at $7 billion in 2011, reflecting the market’s growing importance.
A revamped online tool, called Florida Food Connect, at www.floridafoodconnect.com, offers agricultural producers an easy-to-use way to reach new customers and offers consumers an easy way to find local growers of the freshest foods.
Florida Food Connect offers large and small producers and growers opportunities to diversify sales and build profitable relationships.
The creators of Florida Food Connect will host a free, hourlong webinar June 25 starting at 10:30 a.m. to ensure that interested users understand how to use the site. Participate in the webinar by going to http://uf.ifas.adobeconnect.com/floridafoodconnect between 10 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. to log on.
The University of Florida’s Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences and the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services worked together to make the site easier to use. The new site is a more user-friendly replacement for Florida Market Maker.
On the site, producers can create a profile with photographs and information about their offerings and what makes them unique; while consumers can easily search for the nearest producer of a particular crop, or search by county to see what’s available. Consumers can also use the site to request products.
- Phomopsis stem canker in sunflowers
- Conference to help companies take next steps in eBusiness
- Energy for growing crops is large part of farm operating costs
- Moves in livestock futures bracketed those of the crop markets
- 3D Robotics launches new 3DR mapping platforms
- Report finds ag employers can’t fill STEM jobs
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- USDA releases 2012 cash rents data report
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- Resistant weeds not controlled by fall residuals