Northern Seed acquires Montana Seed and Chemical
Lariat Partners, a Denver-based private equity firm founded by managing partners Kevin Mitchell and Jay Coughlon, has announced an add-on acquisition to its specialty agriculture business based in Montana. Northern Seed, LLC has acquired the assets of Montana Seed and Chemical, LLC, based in Billings, Mont. This is the second Billings-based acquisition completed by Northern Seed, having closed its investment in Westfeeds, Inc. in November 2013.
Northern Seed is a distributor of certified wheat seed and other small grains, as well as a provider of seed conditioning and treatment services to growers. Westfeeds is a livestock feed and nutritional supplements manufacturing and distribution company founded in 1973.
The addition of Montana Seed and Chemical to the Specialty Agriculture platform will add critical market share for the seed distribution business in the Yellowstone valley and into Eastern Montana and Northern Wyoming. "We are very pleased to have the opportunity to build upon the impressive Montana Seed legacy in this market," stated Ron Ueland, president of Northern Seed.
Northern Seed, LLC, based in Butte, is now comprised of six seed conditioning plants, located in Shelby, Conrad, East Pondera County, Fort Benton, and now Billings. Westfeeds has operations in Billings, Great Falls, Dillon, Miles City, and Lewistown.
Ueland further states, "We are very proud to have an agricultural-focused investment partner like Lariat, who is committed to building a quality driven supply chain for the benefit of the region's producers, both in farming and livestock. This acquisition enhances the ability to get these producers what they need, with quality supply and information, now and into the future."
"Given Lariat's emphasis on investing in Specialty Agriculture products and services that improve the efficiencies and yield for growers, this opportunity is an ideal fit for us," said Mitchell. "We are excited about the new opportunities created by this add-on acquisition and we look forward to working closely with Ron and the management team to execute their exciting vision for growth."
- DuPont Crop Protection to sell certain assets to Bayer
- New research study shows the value of neonicotinoids
- Alltech Crop Science acquires South African distributor
- Monsanto invests to transform plant breeding
- Fungicide-resistant soybean diseases spreading
- Most crop futures are starting Thursday on a strong note
- ValueAct buys stake in fertilizer dealer Agrium
- Critics of Dow herbicide sue U.S. EPA over approval
- Six tips to help professionals take leaps of faith
- Nitrogen fertilization rates for corn production
- Landmark Services Co-op, Curry Seeds sign agreement
- No-till may not bring boost in global crop yields
- Los Angeles City Council votes to explore ban on GMO plants
- ASA issues statement on EPA’s neonicotinoid study
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- Resistant weeds not controlled by fall residuals
- First responders need to prepare for agroterrorism