Nominations open for 2013 4R Advocate Program
The Fertilizer Institute (TFI) launched the 2013 4R Advocate Awards Program with a call for entries from retailers wishing to highlight the exceptional nutrient stewardship practices of their grower customers. The 4R Advocate Award program, now in its second year, recognizes farmers who are protecting the environment, boosting profitability and benefiting society through nutrient stewardship practices based on the 4R’s (use of the right nutrient source at the right time, at the right rate at the right time and in the right place). Under the program rules, farmers are nominated by their retail dealers who are also recognized with 4R awards.
In 2013, five winning growers, a spouse or companion and their nominating retailers will be awarded an expense-paid trip to the Commodity Classic, scheduled for Feb. 28-March 2 in Kissimmee, Fla. The Commodity Classic is the once-a-year, can't-miss event for America's soybean, corn, wheat and sorghum farmers. At the Classic, 4R Advocate winners will see the latest agricultural innovations first-hand and meet other growers and agricultural leaders from across the nation and will be honored at an invitation-only banquet.
Nick Sommers, a fifth generation farmer from Delphi Ind. and a 2012 4R Advocate award winner cited the value of the 4R’s and the Advocate Award Program to his farming operation and to the public’s perception of agriculture. “There are a lot of things that we as an industry need to take pride in and it’s nice to have a program to help us highlight these things because ultimately our consumers have to trust what we’re doing.” A video featuring Sommers and other 2012 4R Award winners may be found at www.nutrientstewardship.com/4r-advocate.
Entries for the 2013 4R Advocate Awards are due on November 12, 2012. A nomination form and additional details on the program are available at http://www.nutrientstewardship.com/. Winners will be announced in mid-December. For further information on the program or 4R nutrient stewardship, please contact TFI Director of Stewardship Programs Lara Moody by telephone at (202) 515-2721 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
- New calculator can help soybean farmers with seed decisions
- U.S., Brazil close to ending cotton trade rift
- U.S.-Japan trade talks hit new farm exports snag
- Ag markets posted a general comeback Wednesday
- Midwest grain growers ‘Invest an acre to feed the world’
- Ag markets turned mixed around midsession Wednesday
- Activists fighting Golden Rice even more in 2014
- U.S. GMO labeling foes triple spending in first half of this year
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- East-West Seed signs marketing collaboration with Monsanto
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?