Nominations open for 2013 4R Advocate Program
The Fertilizer Institute (TFI) launched the 2013 4R Advocate Awards Program with a call for entries from retailers wishing to highlight the exceptional nutrient stewardship practices of their grower customers. The 4R Advocate Award program, now in its second year, recognizes farmers who are protecting the environment, boosting profitability and benefiting society through nutrient stewardship practices based on the 4R’s (use of the right nutrient source at the right time, at the right rate at the right time and in the right place). Under the program rules, farmers are nominated by their retail dealers who are also recognized with 4R awards.
In 2013, five winning growers, a spouse or companion and their nominating retailers will be awarded an expense-paid trip to the Commodity Classic, scheduled for Feb. 28-March 2 in Kissimmee, Fla. The Commodity Classic is the once-a-year, can't-miss event for America's soybean, corn, wheat and sorghum farmers. At the Classic, 4R Advocate winners will see the latest agricultural innovations first-hand and meet other growers and agricultural leaders from across the nation and will be honored at an invitation-only banquet.
Nick Sommers, a fifth generation farmer from Delphi Ind. and a 2012 4R Advocate award winner cited the value of the 4R’s and the Advocate Award Program to his farming operation and to the public’s perception of agriculture. “There are a lot of things that we as an industry need to take pride in and it’s nice to have a program to help us highlight these things because ultimately our consumers have to trust what we’re doing.” A video featuring Sommers and other 2012 4R Award winners may be found at www.nutrientstewardship.com/4r-advocate.
Entries for the 2013 4R Advocate Awards are due on November 12, 2012. A nomination form and additional details on the program are available at http://www.nutrientstewardship.com/. Winners will be announced in mid-December. For further information on the program or 4R nutrient stewardship, please contact TFI Director of Stewardship Programs Lara Moody by telephone at (202) 515-2721 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- International Year of Soils set for 2015
- Extra care needed for wintertime fuel handling
- CLA issues statement on EPA’s neonicotinoid report
- Cattle futures bucked the bearish ag market trend Thursday
- Valent launches new low VOC plant growth regulator
- Thursday's export data had mixed crop market implications
- ValueAct buys stake in fertilizer dealer Agrium
- DuPont Crop Protection to sell certain assets to Bayer
- Critics of Dow herbicide sue U.S. EPA over approval
- Six tips to help professionals take leaps of faith
- Nitrogen fertilization rates for corn production
- Landmark Services Co-op, Curry Seeds sign agreement