NCGA announces 2013 National Corn Yield Winners
Advanced production techniques, informed growing practices and improved seed varieties helped corn growers achieve high yields in the National Corn Growers Association 2013 National Corn Yield Contest. Entrants continued to far surpass the national average corn yield, setting a contest record with a new all-time high yield of 454 bushels per acre. Additionally, a record five national entries surpassed the 400-plus bushel per acre mark.
The National Corn Yield Contest is in its 49th year and remains NCGA’s most popular program for members, setting a new participation record this year with 8,827 entries. This surpasses the previous record of 8,431 entries, set in 2011, and far outstrips the 8,263 entries received in 2012.
“While this contest provides individual growers a chance for good-natured competition with their peers, it also advances farming as a whole,” said Don Glenn, chairman of NCGA’s Production and Stewardship Action Team. “The techniques and practices contest winners develop provide the basis for widely used advances that help farmers across the country excel in a variety of situations, including drought. This contest highlights how innovation, from both growers and technology providers, allows us to meet the growing demand for food, feed, fuel and fiber.”
The 18 winners in six production categories had verified yields averaging more than 354.6 bushels per acre, compared to the projected national average of 160.4 bushels per acre in 2013. While there is no overall contest winner, yields from first, second and third place farmers overall production categories topped out at 454.9837.
The all-time high yield record of 454 bushels per acre was set in 2013 by David Hula of Charles City, Va. Southern irrigated corn growers are the five achieving more than 400 bushels per acre. Along with David Hula is Johnny Hula of Charles City, Va.; Double ‘SA’ Farms Inc. of Hart, Texas; Randy Dowdy of Valdosta, Ga.; and Dowdy Farms/Curtis Davis/Renato Lamas of Valdosta, Ga.
For a complete list of winners, visit NCGA website www.ncga.com and look for the link to the pdf listing of national and state winners.
- UAV maker PrecisionHawk receives $10 million in financing
- Tool helps track insects blowing in the wind
- FAO calls for “paradigm shift” toward sustainable agriculture
- Newly revised “Midwest Cover Crops Field Guide” released
- Weed seed present at harvest offers weed control opportunity
- Corn harvest pace picks up, but…
- U.S. GMO labeling foes triple spending in first half of this year
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- Activists fighting Golden Rice even more in 2014
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- East-West Seed signs marketing collaboration with Monsanto