More soybean traits in the next decade, Monsanto says
Biotech Traits Build on Genuity Roundup Ready 2 Yield Success
The introduction of the Genuity Roundup Ready 2 Yield trait in 2009 offered U.S. soybean farmers a step-change improvement in yield potential. Now, Monsanto scientists are pursuing other Genuity biotech innovations in soybeans:
- Roundup Ready Xtend Crop System – Expected for introduction to soybean farmers in 2014, pending regulatory approval, this technology is being developed to offer more consistent, flexible control of weeds, especially tough-to-manage and glyphosate-resistant weeds. The system includes a soybean trait technology – Roundup Ready 2 Xtend – which is designed to be the first to offer tolerance to dicamba and glyphosate. Monsanto is also developing a premix of dicamba and glyphosate herbicides, called Roundup Xtend, that, once approved, is expected to be labeled for use as an over-the-top option for application during the growing season.
- Higher-yielding soybeans – This trait technology is designed to increase yield potential – beyond that already offered by the Genuity Roundup Ready 2 Yield trait – through the insertion of a key yield gene. This trait is in phase 3 of the R&D pipeline.
- Vistive Gold and SDA soybeans– Now in pre-launch phase, Vistive Gold soybeans deliver a trans fat free and reduced saturated fat soybean oil, while also providing increased stability for food manufacturers’ frying and baking applications. SDA soybeans produce an oil that has similar flavor, shelf life and stability as commodity soybean oil, giving food companies the opportunity to use the SDA soybean oil as a plant-based sustainable source of omega-3 fatty acids.
Agronomic Practices Key to Maintaining High Performance
Along with breeding and biotech advances, agronomic practices play a significant role in maximizing soybean yield potential. The Asgrow soybean brand encourages farmers to follow a season-long, high-yield management approach – known as the Asgrow Performance System – to support healthier plants all season long, leading to high-performance potential of Asgrow brand Genuity Roundup Ready 2 Yield soybeans at harvest.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- ARA and TFI provide details of ResponsibleAg program
- FMC to split into two public companies
- Marrone Bio Innovations receives patent for biofungicide
- Central Valley Ag, United Farmers Cooperative propose merger
- As Dow seeks growth, new Enlist crop/chemicals seen as key
- China GMO research funding slides
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Panama says 'go' to GM mosquito evaluation
- Conference to address “What’s Next for Farmland Values”
Declining Weigh Blend System
Ranco Fertiservice Inc.