Monsanto Ground Breakers participants gather for training
Farmers and seed dealers from major U.S. crop production regions recently gathered in St. Louis and Peoria, Ill. for “Monsanto Ground Breakers Week.” The nearly 250 farmers in attendance are part of Monsanto’s on-farm trial program, Ground Breakers, experiencing two new innovations from Monsanto: Roundup Ready Xtend Crop System, and FieldScripts.
At the events, farmers participated in educational sessions in advance of Monsanto’s Ground Breakers Field Trials Under Permit program for the Roundup Ready Xtend Crop System for soybeans and Ground Breakers FieldScripts, a corn hybrid recommendation and variable-rate-seeding prescription that can help maximize yield potential. Pending regulatory approvals, the Monsanto Roundup Ready Xtend Crop System will be available for soybeans with limited supplies in 2014. FieldScripts also will be available in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, and Minnesota in the Dekalb seed brand in 2014.
The Monsanto Ground Breakers program engages farmers in an additional phase of on-farm testing prior to the commercialization of new technologies. Dale Sorensen, key customer lead for Integrated Farming Systems at Monsanto, describes the value the program provides, “The Ground Breakers program gives select farmers first-hand experience with our newest technologies on their farm, and it provides an additional year of on-farm results so growers can be confident Monsanto’s products have been well tested in real-world growing conditions,” he said.
The Roundup Ready Xtend Crop System is intended to bring growers more consistency and improved weed control, especially tough-to-manage and glyphosate-resistant weeds. FieldScripts technology leverages innovations in hybrid performance research, data analysis and precision equipment to deliver and execute a variable rate seeding prescription that can help maximize yield potential across soil variations. FieldScripts represents the first offering from Monsanto’s Integrated Farming Systems (IFS) – a research and development platform dedicated to integrating Monsanto’s expertise in seed science, field science, data analysis, precision equipment and customer service.
Roundup Ready 2 Xtend Soybeans
“The Roundup Ready Xtend Crop System represents an exciting product innovation Monsanto is bringing to farmers in the coming season,” said Michelle Vigna, Monsanto’s Roundup Ready Xtend System launch manager. “During Ground Breakers Week we sought input from our Ground Breakers farmers and shared with them product knowledge prior to tractors and sprayers entering the field for the 2013 spring planting season.”
- CF Industries terminates merger discussions with Yara Intl.
- Abengoa celebrates grand opening of its first biofuels plant
- NAWG calls for more biotech wheat research
- Iowa leaders issue critical statement on EPA’s WOTUS rule
- GMO labeling foes spend big on campaigns in Oregon, Colorado
- Accelerating harvesting depressed crop futures Sunday night
- U.S. farmers seen cutting fertilizer use as crop prices slide
- Newly revised “Midwest Cover Crops Field Guide” released
- Automated imaging system looks underground to improve crops
- Take That, Red Baron
- Understand and adapt to different communication styles
- Offshore wind farms are the future, says Statkraft CEO
- East-West Seed signs marketing collaboration with Monsanto
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- USDA releases 2012 cash rents data report
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- Resistant weeds not controlled by fall residuals