Mason City biodiesel plant acquisition completed
Renewable Energy Group completed the purchase of a 30-million gallon per year capacity biodiesel plant in Mason City, Iowa, formerly owned by Soy Energy, LLC.
Former Soy Energy, LLC unit holders approved the sale in a vote Monday, July 29. Pursuant to the purchase agreement, REG acquired the biorefinery for $11 million in cash and the issuance of a $5.6 million promissory note. Due to a post-closing adjustment, the note was reduced to $5.1 million.
“We are very pleased to bring REG Mason City into our fleet of biorefineries because it helps us move forward with our growth strategy,” said Daniel Oh, REG President and CEO. “We are happy to be restoring jobs to the community and look forward to working with local businesses as we work to re-open the plant.”
REG plans to repair and re-start the facility using soybean oil and low free fatty acid feedstocks by the end of the year. The acquisition brings the company’s total annual production capacity to 257 million gallons. REG now owns and operates eight active biorefineries. REG Mason City, LLC joins the company’s nearby plants in Newton and Ralston, Iowa and Albert Lea, Minnesota. REG also owns active plants in Illinois and Texas.
REG has begun the hiring process and expects to employ 15 to 25 full-time employees in family wage jobs when the plant is re-started.
- Corn in great shape as harvest takes off
- Cargill fires first shot in legal battle over GMO trade
- Beck's begins construction on London, Ohio, facility
- Wheat gene discovery clears way for non-GMO breeding
- Sugarcane aphids confirmed on sorghum in Southern High Plains
- FSA data gave the soy & grain markets an early boost
- U.S. GMO labeling foes triple spending in first half of this year
- Activists fighting Golden Rice even more in 2014
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- Stoller soybean research produces 214 bushels per acre
- Livestock futures again outperformed crop markets Wednesday night