Markets anticipating weekly export report Thursday morning
Hog futures also fell moderately in overnight trading. Although the direct cash markets posted modest gains Wednesday afternoon, the late wholesale report almost guaranteed a significantly lower opening this morning. That is, in addition to a dramatic breakdown in primal ham values, pork loins dropped rather substantially as well. Traders are probably worried about a repeat of the weak environment experienced through late winter and early spring last year. April hogs moved 0.45 cents lower, to 85.35 cents/pound overnight, while June skidded 0.40 cents to 93.75.
Cotton futures moved moderately lower Thursday morning after dropping substantially on Tuesday and Wednesday. Talk of burgeoning stockpiles deliverable against the ICE contracts reportedly caused the breakdown. Prices actually fell to 80.05 cents/pound (basis March) at the Wednesday low, the rebounded rather sharply. Bulls are almost surely hoping that marks an end to the decline suffered over the past three weeks, whereas others are probably expecting a test of the 78.00-cent area. The USDA Export Sales report due for release at 7:30 AM CST could determine short-term market direction. March cotton slipped 0.02 cents, to 80.80 cents/pound in early morning trading, while December dipped 0.27 cents to 82.50.
- Phomopsis stem canker in sunflowers
- Conference to help companies take next steps in eBusiness
- Energy for growing crops is large part of farm operating costs
- Moves in livestock futures bracketed those of the crop markets
- 3D Robotics launches new 3DR mapping platforms
- Report finds ag employers can’t fill STEM jobs
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- USDA releases 2012 cash rents data report
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- Resistant weeds not controlled by fall residuals
- Do you think the term “agricultural sustainability” is as strong of a buzzword and emphasis for action in the industry as it was 3 years ago?