Managing weather and marketing risk in 2013
The challenge for farmers will be how weather and marketing risk is managed. The spring guarantees for crop insurance will be set during the month of February, and crop insurance sign-up is from March 1 to March 15, if you are a first timer, or are changing your arrangements.
While USDA reported that grain stocks will be tight, global demand is being re-focused from the US to South American supplies and US exports are expected to soon diminish in their volume.
However, the 2013 crop will soon be planted, and prices could be substantially lower than the 2012 crop with larger production anticipated. Weather risk will have to be managed and Eastern Cornbelt farmers have had more moisture than those to the west.
Crop insurance remains an option for all, and the sign-up deadline is March 15 for spring planted row crops.
Source: FarmGate blog
- Accurate plant tissue analysis starts at the crop sample
- Livestock futures tumble Wednesday morning
- Agreement to deliver real time data and precision analytics
- Trading firms' dispute with Monsanto threatens Brazil's soy sales
- Invasive weed increasingly taking hold in Kansas
- Resilient Agriculture Conference now open to crop advisors