LSU AgCenter’s organic fertility research project opened
The LSU AgCenter and the New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center held a ribbon-cutting ceremony to celebrate LSU AgCenter's organic fertility research project, located on property near the Convention Center.
Dr. Rogers Leonard, Associate Vice Chancellor and Program Leader for Plant and Soil Sciences, LSU AgCenter, and Dr. Bobby Fletcher, Jr., Assistant Director, LSU AgCenter, Convention Center officials, plus representatives from the local urban farming community were on hand for the event.
For the next two years, research on Bella Rosa tomatoes will be conducted on the one-quarter acre plot to evaluate the effectiveness and economics of organic fertilizer versus conventional fertilizer used in vegetable gardening, to monitor disease, and to study the microbial qualities of irrigation water over the growing season.
The tomatoes will be harvested in June, and a preliminary report of the findings will be presented at the 2nd Annual Farm to Table International Symposium at the New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center Aug. 2-4.
This annual event brings together the leading practitioners in the burgeoning farm-to-table movement to explore the cultivation, distribution, and consumption of food and drink sourced locally. The event is presented by the New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, in partnership with the SoFAB Institute and the LSU AgCenter.
- Texas fall armyworms out early due to unseasonable rains
- Scout for western bean cutworm, western corn rootworm in Ohio
- AgSense releases iPad version of its WagNet Mobile app
- Ag markets posted divergent moves again Thursday
- Ag markets remained mixed at midsession Thursday
- Be wary of wheat quality after wet weather
- Don’t link bird decline and use of neonicotinoids
- Commentary: Setting the record straight on 'Waters of the U.S.'
- Look at fertilizer pricing 2013 vs. 2014
- Solar energy jobs increase, wind power decrease
- Setting the record straight on 'Waters of the U.S.'
- Comments end for Enlist Duo but not the fight