Iowa’s ‘Field of Dreams’ farm sells, but fails to set new record
The Iowa farmland Kevin Costner’s character, Ray Kinsella, contemplated as heaven in “Field of Dreams” sold last week, but even the land’s celebrity status couldn’t help it break the state’s record high farmland price set earlier this year.
The 193-acre farm and movie site was purchased by Go the Distance Baseball LLC for $3.4 million plus interest, a steal compared to the farm’s listed selling price of $5.4 million two years ago when the property entered the market.
The sale includes the field and farmhouse, which the buyers told KRCG they will preserve along with some of the corn fields.
Without the interest, the sale price is over $17,600 per acre, roughly $4,300 per acre less than the record set earlier in 2012 on an 80.47-acre farm near Boyden, Iowa.
The Associated Press reports the investment company plans to convert the cornfields to an All-Star Ballpark Heaven consisting of 24 youth baseball and softball fields. Construction on the tournament complex is expected to begin this spring with the inaugural tournament slated for 2014.
The complex is expected to create 1,400 jobs and eventually bring $40 million to the area.
The sale was delayed as a group of residents attempted to block the zoning change but the petition was denied.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Dry weather, biofuel mandate to boost palm prices in 2014
- 2014 Farm Bill: Reallocating base acreage
- FAS administrator talks world ag export situation
- The Beige Book is out. The agriculture picture is not rosy
- New precision potassium fertilizer from AgroLiquid
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Growth Points: Big data is about to get even bigger
- Update on the world’s 15 largest seed banks
Ranco Bucket Elevators
Ranco Fertiservice Inc.