Iowa fertilizer management standards updated
• Yield Goal Now Realistic Yield Potential. Any reference in the old standard to “Yield Goal” was changed to “Realistic Yield Potential” in the new standard. This change provides for simpler ways to estimate yield to determine nutrient removal rates.
• Manure Testing Requirement. A lab certified through the Minnesota Department of Agriculture Manure Testing Laboratory Certification Program will be used to complete manure tests. (www2.mda.state.mn.us/webapp/lis/manurelabs.jsp)
• Biosolids Included as Plant Nutrients. Biosolids like sludge and food processing waste are now included as sources of plant nutrients, recognizing that they are also a valuable fertilizer source.
• Guidance for Adaptive Nutrient Management. This provision encourages producers to conduct on-farm research to make better nutrient management decisions.
- California pays the price for Corn Belt’s cold snap
- Seed treatments strongly recommended for 2014 wheat crop
- Oregon GMO labeling measure certified for November ballot
- Pesticide linked to three generations of disease
- Arysta LifeScience registers Dinamic herbicide for corn in China
- AgData acquired by Vista Equity Partners