High-tech equipment used to evaluate soil fertility
Haggard said the key to the process is to get the analyses done while the plants are young so fertilizer applications can be made in time to affect yields of the current crop instead of providing information for the next year, as the situation is now.
“This is the first step in this study,” Haggard said. “The second part of the research is looking at a variable-rate application for residual nitrogen across soil types.”
In Louisiana, soil types can change across a single field, so growers need to know how much of each fertilizer nutrient needs to be applied, and where.
In this study, Haggard is using GPS, GIS and other technologies to change application rates on the fly.
“The software determines how much material to apply without the farmer having to make any adjustments,” she said.
The GPS system determines exactly when an application rate needs to change and makes the adjustment automatically.
Haggard said the overall purpose of her research is to help corn and soybean farmers speed up the process for making decisions in order to maintain or improve yields.
She said the portable X-ray fluorescence spectrometry equipment can be used in other crops, but she is focusing on corn and soybeans because they are the two main crops being grown in north Louisiana.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Avoid contaminating seed super boxes in handling
- U.N. warns food security a risk to Asia-Pacific
- Ag markets ended Tuesday in mixed fashion once again.
- Vietnam cuts rice export price floor, eyes Manila tender
- Ag markets turned decidedly mixed Tuesday morning
- Calculations for March 1 corn stocks estimate
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Julie Borlaug says biotech is necessary in fight against hunger
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Panama says 'go' to GM mosquito evaluation
Ranco Bucket Elevators
Ranco Fertiservice Inc.