Goss’s wilt prompted by wet weather, severe conditions
In-season management choices for Goss’s wilt are very limited, so understanding your options is vital.
“A fungicide application will not work on bacterial diseases such as Goss’s wilt. The best strategy is prevention in the off-season with selection of a hybrid containing native resistance to the disease and incorporating crop rotation and tillage to minimize survival of the bacteria,” Heuchelin reports.
DuPont Pioneer has been researching this devastating disease for more than 20 years, making the company an industry leader when it comes to Goss’s wilt. Most of the research has taken place in La Salle, Colo. and western Neb., the geographic origin of the disease. However, Pioneer researchers have identified the genes for resistance and bred hybrids with resistance to Goss’s wilt for locations further eastward, expanding choices for those who want protection against this disease.
Reducing corn residue through crop rotation or tillage is another management practice that helps you combat this disease. One reason for the prevalence of Goss’s wilt is due to the recent increase of corn-on-corn acres where the bacteria can overwinter in the remaining residue. Good weed control is also now more important than ever because weeds such as green foxtail, barnyardgrass or shattercane are hosts for this bacterium. Heuchelin also suggests harvesting and tilling infected fields last and then cleaning your equipment to help avoid spreading the pathogen to uninfected fields.
The new Pioneer Field360 Notes app will help you track field notes on Goss’s wilt and assist with scouting. This tool streamlines and organizes field-by-field agronomic information for communication among DuPont Pioneer agronomists, sales professionals and growers, and is compatible with all tablets and mobile devices.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Dry weather, biofuel mandate to boost palm prices in 2014
- 2014 Farm Bill: Reallocating base acreage
- FAS administrator talks world ag export situation
- The Beige Book is out. The agriculture picture is not rosy
- New precision potassium fertilizer from AgroLiquid
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Growth Points: Big data is about to get even bigger
- Update on the world’s 15 largest seed banks
Fertilizer Conveying Systems
Waconia Manufacturing Inc.