Funding of research to grow organic strawberries
Therefore, in addition to bringing more diversity to the market, the researchers hope to reduce chemical use on farms. While Chase said the team will initially try to grow the strawberry cultivars without chemicals, if they find a need for them, the team will consider using non-synthetic and natural products approved for use in organic production.
Zhifeng Gao, an assistant professor in UF’s Food and Resource Economics Department, and Mickie Swisher of Family, Youth and Community Sciences, will work to determine consumer preferences for strawberries. They’ll study factors such as flavor, taste, quality and the price consumers will pay for organic produce.
Swisher says this project is exciting because it brings together research about production practices and what consumers want. She said it is especially exciting to be working with an industry-leader like Walmart because of the project’s potential to provide healthy, domestically produced strawberries to consumers. Equally important, she said, is the involvement of strawberry producers and industry representatives in the research.
“We hope to get very, very deep and substantive feedback from strawberry producers to help us find economically viable solutions for growers,” Swisher said.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Dry weather, biofuel mandate to boost palm prices in 2014
- 2014 Farm Bill: Reallocating base acreage
- FAS administrator talks world ag export situation
- The Beige Book is out. The agriculture picture is not rosy
- New precision potassium fertilizer from AgroLiquid
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Growth Points: Big data is about to get even bigger
- Update on the world’s 15 largest seed banks
Speed King Blender
CrustBuster/Speed King, Inc.