Frontier Scientific acquires premier ag industry supplier
Frontier Scientific, Inc. (FSI) announces the expansion of its agricultural products offering through the acquisition of a leading supplier of insect products to provide researchers proven quality solutions for insecticide compound screening, seed development and crop protection.
Agricultural expansion is a natural fit for FSI’s established areas of expertise in complex supply issues, custom chemistry capabilities, existing che mical offering, compound management for screening, and crop protection pipeline.
“This allows us to expand and strengthen current relationships and provide a solid foundation for future discovery, development and commercialization,” said W. Tim Miller, President and CEO of FSI. “This is a unique way to complement our current applications by leveraging our existing capabilities,” said Miller.
According to a report published by Transparency Market Research, the global crop protection market will grow to $71.8 billion in 2018.
“As the market grows, the need for testing against problem insects will grow. Our core competency is the consistent scaled production and delivery of insect products, principally Lepidopteran species, of agricultural interest,” stated Dave Davis, Senior Director of Operations for this new business unit of FSI.
Existing agricultural projects within FSI include novel compounds in development and field testing to address citrus greening disease, methyl erythritol phosphate pathway inhibitors as herbicides, and light activated compounds being evaluated as fungicides to address crop problems like wheat rust and fusarium wilt in bananas and as insecticides against mosquito larvae and cherry fruit flies.
With this acquisition, FSI will also be expanding its existing protein expression capabilities using insect larvae as the expression host.
The business will operate as Frontier Agricultural Sciences (FSIAG) – www.fsiag.com-- in Newark, Del., at a specialized facility with state-of-the-art insect propagation, packaging and production technology, an operation and team which has shown market-proven consistency for 12 years.
- International Year of Soils set for 2015
- Extra care needed for wintertime fuel handling
- CLA issues statement on EPA’s neonicotinoid report
- Cattle futures bucked the bearish ag market trend Thursday
- Valent launches new low VOC plant growth regulator
- Thursday's export data had mixed crop market implications
- ValueAct buys stake in fertilizer dealer Agrium
- DuPont Crop Protection to sell certain assets to Bayer
- Critics of Dow herbicide sue U.S. EPA over approval
- Six tips to help professionals take leaps of faith
- Nitrogen fertilization rates for corn production
- Landmark Services Co-op, Curry Seeds sign agreement