Food Security Index explained
“We cannot achieve food security absent genuine sustainability that encompasses how food is produced, how it gets to market and how it is served on our plates,” Borel added.
As a part of its commitment to food security, DuPont commissioned the development of a comprehensive measurement tool that addresses the need for specific metrics to illustrate what food security looks like country-by-country. The Global Food Security Index was created by the Economist Intelligence Unit and is a one-of-a-kind tool that will help all of us around the world measure and better understand the many aspects of what constitutes food security in 105 countries, including Indonesia. The Index looks at affordability, availability, nutritional quality and safety, and it will employ an adjustment factor for food price fluctuations to examine the risk countries face throughout the course of a given year. To learn more log onto foodsecurityindex.eiu.com.
“Our hope is that the Global Food Security Index will promote a common understanding and foster collaborations across the food value chain, generate insights and stimulate action to feed a growing population,” said Borel.
At an evening event, DuPont also marked its sponsorship of the second season of the BBC World News program Horizons, presented by BBC business journalist and conference moderator, Adam Shaw. This Horizons series continues with a journey across the globe in search of the ideas and businesses that may succeed over the next decade in tackling the planet’s biggest challenges. The new season of Horizons will air on BBC World News, in over 200 countries and territories around the world beginning on Oct. 6. For information on the program, visit http://www.horizonsbusiness.comor Facebook.com/horizonsTVseries.
- Scout for aphids in winter wheat
- El Niño development stalled out, but wet winter still predicted
- Ag markets posted divergent closes Wednesday
- Farm bill program to help farmers affected by severe weather
- Israel panel proposes 25-42% tax hike on mining companies
- Ag markets moved almost unanimously higher Wednesday morning
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- Ag markets made a generally mixed showing Thursday night
- What is the relationship between maturity group, yield?