Food Security Index explained
“We cannot achieve food security absent genuine sustainability that encompasses how food is produced, how it gets to market and how it is served on our plates,” Borel added.
As a part of its commitment to food security, DuPont commissioned the development of a comprehensive measurement tool that addresses the need for specific metrics to illustrate what food security looks like country-by-country. The Global Food Security Index was created by the Economist Intelligence Unit and is a one-of-a-kind tool that will help all of us around the world measure and better understand the many aspects of what constitutes food security in 105 countries, including Indonesia. The Index looks at affordability, availability, nutritional quality and safety, and it will employ an adjustment factor for food price fluctuations to examine the risk countries face throughout the course of a given year. To learn more log onto foodsecurityindex.eiu.com.
“Our hope is that the Global Food Security Index will promote a common understanding and foster collaborations across the food value chain, generate insights and stimulate action to feed a growing population,” said Borel.
At an evening event, DuPont also marked its sponsorship of the second season of the BBC World News program Horizons, presented by BBC business journalist and conference moderator, Adam Shaw. This Horizons series continues with a journey across the globe in search of the ideas and businesses that may succeed over the next decade in tackling the planet’s biggest challenges. The new season of Horizons will air on BBC World News, in over 200 countries and territories around the world beginning on Oct. 6. For information on the program, visit http://www.horizonsbusiness.comor Facebook.com/horizonsTVseries.
- Ag markets posted mixed closes Tuesday afternoon
- $4.7M grant to study fruit genetics, development
- Monitoring corn and soybean consumption
- Seed coating materials market worth $1,426.78 million by 2019
- Major geopolitical trends to impact global agribusiness revealed
- Yara and CF Industries in financial talks
- Despite USDA approval, Enlist trait faces hurdles
- Activist investor Peltz pushes DuPont to split itself
- USDA approves Dow’s Enlist corn, soybean traits
- Mapping technology help farmers understand soil
- Improve nutrient balance to boost corn yields
- Study shows differences in understanding sustainable agriculture
- U.S. GMO labeling foes triple spending in first half of this year
- Activists fighting Golden Rice even more in 2014
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- East-West Seed signs marketing collaboration with Monsanto
- Stoller soybean research produces 214 bushels per acre