FERC takes action to address propane shortage
Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Bill Northey commended the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) for taking historic steps to help address a shortage of propane supplies in the Midwest.
On February 7, FERC utilized its emergency authority under the Interstate Commerce Act to order Enterprise TE Products Pipeline Company, LLC to prioritize propane shipments through their pipelines. The action had been requested by the National Propane Gas Association and its members.
"The Commission members, including Iowa native John Norris, clearly understood the importance of insuring adequate propane supplies and this historic action is very good news for farmers and rural residents," Northey said. "I greatly appreciate the hard work of Iowa's propane suppliers to meet customer's needs during this challenging time and the leadership of Governor Branstad as we have pursued every opportunity to increase propane supplies."
According to FERC's news release announcing the action, "this marks the first time that commission has used its emergency authority under the Interstate Commerce Act. Section 1(15) of the Act which states that whenever the Commission is of the opinion that an emergency requiring immediate action exists in any section of the country, it has authority to give directions for preference or priority in transportation, embargoes or movement of traffic."
The action will result in an additional 500,000 barrels (21 M gallons) of propane moving into the pipeline over the next two weeks. This will free up product for the Midwestern region and help build supply which should ensure access for Iowa residents and livestock producers.
- Scout for aphids in winter wheat
- El Niño development stalled out, but wet winter still predicted
- Ag markets posted divergent closes Wednesday
- Farm bill program to help farmers affected by severe weather
- Israel panel proposes 25-42% tax hike on mining companies
- Ag markets moved almost unanimously higher Wednesday morning
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- Ag markets made a generally mixed showing Thursday night
- What is the relationship between maturity group, yield?