Engenia specific for dicamba-resistant crops
“Spray drift control is a critical component of our stewardship message with Engenia. We can positively impact the volatility profile with formulation, which we’ve done with Engenia. But once the product is delivered to the persons applying it, then we want to make sure they have all the tools necessary and all the knowledge necessary to make an application that does not allow any spray drift onto their neighbors’ crops,” Bozeman noted.
He said newer nozzles on the market today produce only between 1 percent and 3 percent driftable fines. “These are the nozzles that we are really focused on for use with Engenia.” Dicamba is a systemic herbicide; therefore, a small droplet is not necessary because hitting a portion of the weed means the dicamba will be absorbed into the tissue of the plant and translocated to the roots and growing points of the plant for full plant kill.
Tight regulation of the yet-to-be registered seed means that only a small number of demonstration plots can be planted in very controlled situations in 2014. Monsanto has supplied BASF with enough dicamba-tolerant soybean and cotton seed to plant about 40 demonstration plots in 2014. Bozeman noted, “We won’t be demonstrating the seed per say; we will be demonstrating the use of Engenia in a herbicide-seed system to control a wide range of weeds, in particular some of the glyphosate-resistant weeds. The stewardship demonstration component is the second leg—how to apply it so that you don’t negatively impact an adjoining sensitive crop.”
- New calculator can help soybean farmers with seed decisions
- U.S., Brazil close to ending cotton trade rift
- U.S.-Japan trade talks hit new farm exports snag
- Ag markets posted a general comeback Wednesday
- Midwest grain growers ‘Invest an acre to feed the world’
- Ag markets turned mixed around midsession Wednesday
- Activists fighting Golden Rice even more in 2014
- U.S. GMO labeling foes triple spending in first half of this year
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- East-West Seed signs marketing collaboration with Monsanto
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?