DuPont sees growth as farmers seek drought-hardy corn
But Schickler said Monsanto's corn is "less field tested" than Pioneer's offering, and Pioneer is on track to continue to grow market share, both in corn and soybeans. Since 2008, Pioneer has realized more than 10 percent market-share gain in North American soybean sales and more than 6 percent in corn, Schickler said.
Weed Resistance Worries
Pioneer rivals Monsanto, Dow Chemical and BASF are preparing to roll out new herbicide-tolerant crops to address weed resistance problems that have resulted from wide-spread adoption of "Roundup Ready" soybeans, corn, cotton and other crops. Heavy use of glyphosate-based Roundup on the glyphosate-tolerant crops has led to a plague of herbicide-resistant weeds on millions of acres of U.S. farmland.
The new crops and chemicals developed by Pioneer rivals are built on herbicides other than glyphosate to combat the weeds resistant to glyphosate. But many Pioneer seed offerings are still built primarily on glyphosate tolerance.
Schickler said Pioneer is actively researching different solutions, including a combination of licensed Roundup Ready technology with licensed technology from Dow, but sees glyphosate as foundational well into the future.
"We will continue to have glyphosate and we will continue to have glyphosate system for as long as you can predict," he said.
"Maybe we got a little too comfortable...just becoming reliant upon glyphosate-tolerant crops," he said.
Schickler said in addition the U.S. growth, expansions are underway in international markets, notably China, where the company is expanding its breeding and production capabilities.
"It is a tremendous opportunity for us," said Schickler.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Avoid contaminating seed super boxes in handling
- U.N. warns food security a risk to Asia-Pacific
- Ag markets ended Tuesday in mixed fashion once again.
- Vietnam cuts rice export price floor, eyes Manila tender
- Ag markets turned decidedly mixed Tuesday morning
- Calculations for March 1 corn stocks estimate
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Julie Borlaug says biotech is necessary in fight against hunger
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Panama says 'go' to GM mosquito evaluation
Ports and River Receiving Systems