Don’t let downy mildew take down your sunflower field
Because the disease is known to evolve and adapt quickly, Syngenta will offer Bion® fungicide as an optional component of CruiserMaxx Sunflower seed treatment insecticide/fungicide beginning in 2014. Schmit added that Bion has been extremely successful in field trials, and Syngenta is looking forward to sharing the new option with growers seeking additional downy mildew protection.
While downy mildew can be a nightmare for sunflower growers, crops can be protected through proper field assessments, planting resistant varieties and applying seed treatments like CruiserMaxx Sunflower.
“Once growers see downy mildew, they never forget it. The symptoms are distinct and devastating. There aren’t a lot of diseases like it. It’s unmistakable,” Markell said. “I tell growers to know their fields and take steps to solve downy mildew issues before they begin."
- USDA reminds farmers of 2014 farm bill conservation compliance
- AgGateway offers precision ag standards for seeding operations
- Phytech reveals its PlantBeat service to U.S. farmers
- Accurate plant tissue analysis starts at the crop sample
- Livestock futures tumble Wednesday morning
- Agreement to deliver real time data and precision analytics