Different states and different custom charges
Several states around the country through their Extension services compile custom application rates paid by farmers for field work, but a project that would seem to be something easily coordinated for gathering the same information with the same questions from state to state isn’t happening.
Prime examples are fertilizer application and chemical application for control of weeds, insects and fungicides. There isn’t even consistency in the description of operations in the final analysis of information gathered from the groups of farmers surveyed and responding.
Some basic information can be pulled from different states’ surveys that show some comparisons by regions for services commonly provided by ag retailers. Below are the average cost of custom application services charged farmers in Iowa, Kansas and Ohio, which reflects prices paid for the 2012 crop season:
Iowa Kansas Ohio
Dry bulk $4.95 5.73 5.80
Liquid, spray $6.50 5.43 6.00
Anhydrous ammonia $12.40 10.94 12.10
Lime $6.30 7.20
Chemical Control Weeds or Insects
Spray, self-propelled $7.30 7.00
Spraying pull $6.65 5.48 6.10
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- El Niño could strike as early as summer
- Fertilizer in small doses yields higher returns for less money
- Research shows GM crops safe, no special labeling needed
- Canada orders railways to boost grain shipments to ease logjam
- New soil health toolbox evaluates plant available nutrients
- Spectacular economic growth in China has a downside: drought
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Panama says 'go' to GM mosquito evaluation
- Update on the world’s 15 largest seed banks
R&R Minuteman Blend System
R&R Manufacturing Inc.