Commentary: Urban farming topic strikes a chord
9. Feeding the world has to be sustainable. “Furthermore, feeding the world should be about empowerment and sovereignty of individual countries and communities to be able to feed themselves instead of dependent on strangers from thousands of miles away. … It's definitely not sustainable to spray massive pesticides, utilize GMO's, and make thousands of people dependent instead of independent.”
Traditional agribusiness is becoming more sustainable as technology and enhancements improve farmers’ understanding of caring for crops. Many conventional farms have been in their families for multiple generations. Conventional farms allow many people to lead independent lives away from farm fields and food production. Thanks to genetically modified crops, fewer crop protection chemicals are being used. The more toxic crop protection chemicals are being phased out of production, and the Environmental Protection Agency is approving products for use that are the most environmentally friendly that the industry has ever seen.
10. Urban agriculture threatens giant agribusiness corporations who only want people to buy their heavily marketed, nutritionless products.
It is everyone’s choice as to what food to buy. No one is twisting anyone’s arm when they go to the grocery store or farmer’s market. Agribusiness is not threatened by urban agriculture. In fact, conventional farmers are a great resource for urban agriculturalists to use for learning the intricacies of growing food. In the end, we all need food to survive.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Dry weather, biofuel mandate to boost palm prices in 2014
- 2014 Farm Bill: Reallocating base acreage
- FAS administrator talks world ag export situation
- The Beige Book is out. The agriculture picture is not rosy
- New precision potassium fertilizer from AgroLiquid
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Growth Points: Big data is about to get even bigger
- Update on the world’s 15 largest seed banks
Ranco Bucket Elevators
Ranco Fertiservice Inc.