Calculators ease planting decisions
Take the confusion out of planter settings while boosting your planting accuracy this spring. DuPont Pioneer has developed three calculators that can help eliminate some of the guesswork at planting time.
- With the online Planter Settings Calculator you can enter your planter type and the seed batch ID from your Pioneer seed bag tags, and you’ll get customized planter setting recommendations based on seed shape and size.
- The Pioneer Field360 Plantability App offers planting recommendations to mobile phone and tablet users after they scan the bar code on their Pioneer brand corn and sunflower seed tags and indicate their planter type. The tool is available for iPad, iPhone and Android devices.
- The Pioneer Planting Rate Estimator allows users to examine historical yield response curves to help estimate an optimum planting rate for Pioneer corn products. The Planting Rate Estimator also provides hybrid-specific, customized planting rate recommendations based on your seed cost, grain price and expected yield. Simply enter the batch number of the seed you're planting and select the appropriate planter model to calculate the optimum planting rate and net income per acre. The results reflect extensive research into hybrid response to varying plant populations.
As growers move from the shop to the field, DuPont Pioneer agronomists offer planter setup and in-field planting recommendations.
- Discuss seeding rates and row spacing with your Pioneer sales professional.
- Calibrate and adjust planters based on recommended fan speed or pressure, ground speed, and talc or graphite coverage.
- Utilize planter meters to maximize seed singulation and ensure spacing accuracy and targeted planting.
- Reduce tillage passes to preserve soil moisture.
- Use planter-mounted row cleaners to allow soil to warm and to move disease organisms away from the seed.
- Plant at least 1.5–2 inches deep to ensure that the nodal roots develop ¾ of an inch below the soil surface.
Plant only when soil is near 50 degrees F and the forecast is for warm temperatures
- DuPont Crop Protection to sell certain assets to Bayer
- New research study shows the value of neonicotinoids
- Alltech Crop Science acquires South African distributor
- Monsanto invests to transform plant breeding
- Fungicide-resistant soybean diseases spreading
- Most crop futures are starting Thursday on a strong note
- ValueAct buys stake in fertilizer dealer Agrium
- Critics of Dow herbicide sue U.S. EPA over approval
- Six tips to help professionals take leaps of faith
- Nitrogen fertilization rates for corn production
- Landmark Services Co-op, Curry Seeds sign agreement
- No-till may not bring boost in global crop yields
- Los Angeles City Council votes to explore ban on GMO plants
- ASA issues statement on EPA’s neonicotinoid study
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- Resistant weeds not controlled by fall residuals
- First responders need to prepare for agroterrorism