Bt-RR cotton seeds approved in Paraguay
Paraguay’s Producers’ Guild announced that farmers will have access to new plant transgenic cotton Bollgard-tolerant, Roundup Ready (Bt-RR) cotton seeds from Monsanto.
Paraguay’s government approved the sale of the new seeds, which are resistant to insects and herbicide glifisato Lepidoptera, after extensive testing of the seeds. According to the Producers’ Guild, all regulatory processes have been met.
The country is no stranger to adopting transgenic cotton since it already plants more than half of its cotton to a transgenic variety.
Commercial release of the new seeds is expected soon with seeds available to cotton growers by the beginning of the next crop season at the earliest.
Only the Ministry of Public Health has jet to approve the seeds.
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- Ag markets made a generally mixed showing Thursday night
- What is the relationship between maturity group, yield?
- Commentary: Ambulance-chaser lawyers take on Syngenta