Agriculture policy: An urgent need for serious dialogue
Conklin said a new initiative must come forward and shared the optimism of one of his colleagues at the Farm Foundation, “The real challenge is how do we find a new equilibrium to support agricultural policy for the 21st century. Iowa farmer Varel Bailey, an eternal optimist, notes: “...In the past, some of the major changes in policy have happened at times of a near impossible political situation.” The years 1862 and 1933, come to my mind.”
Conklin said the “Farm Foundation has begun a Dialogue on Food and Agriculture in the 21st Century to allow a diverse mix of stakeholders in today’s agriculture and food system to have civil discussions on critical issues shaping the future.” That is where we are, and with the acceleration we have toward the need to feed 9 billion people by 2050, those diverse stakeholders need to converge and find a common ground in short order.
The need to feed the global community as population explodes will put pressure not just on agronomists and animal scientists, but policy makers who must agree on objectives as well as paths to achieve those. With the failure of the House of Representatives to approve the Farm Bill last week, there is no indication that progress is being made. Communication is necessary, and new efforts must be initiated to create a dialogue for the future of agriculture.
Source: FarmGate blog
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Dry weather, biofuel mandate to boost palm prices in 2014
- 2014 Farm Bill: Reallocating base acreage
- FAS administrator talks world ag export situation
- The Beige Book is out. The agriculture picture is not rosy
- New precision potassium fertilizer from AgroLiquid
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Growth Points: Big data is about to get even bigger
- Update on the world’s 15 largest seed banks