Agriculture & related industries provide 9.2% of U.S. employment
In 2012, 16.5 million full- and part-time jobs were related to agriculture—about 9.2 percent of total U.S. employment. Direct on-farm employment provided over 2.6 million of these jobs. Employment in the related industries supported another 13.9 million jobs. Of this number, food services and drinking places accounted for the largest share—10.8 million jobs—and food manufacturing supported 1.5 million jobs. The remaining agriculture-related industries together supported another 1.5 million jobs. This chart appears in ERS’s data product, Ag and Food Statistics: Charting the Essentials, on the ERS website.
- Ag markets remained quite mixed at noon Friday
- California pays the price for Corn Belt’s cold snap
- Seed treatments strongly recommended for 2014 wheat crop
- Oregon GMO labeling measure certified for November ballot
- Pesticide linked to three generations of disease
- Arysta LifeScience registers Dinamic herbicide for corn in China