Africa urged to prioritize agricultural transformation
The special meeting of the Permanent Secretaries of Ministries of Agriculture and Local Government and Development Working Group Leaders on the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) National Agriculture Investment Plans ( NAIPs), on Country Post-Compact and Investment Plans Implementation, opened Feb. 11, 2014, at the African Union Commission Headquarters with a call for African leaders to place agricultural transformation at the top of their agendas.
Officially opening the three day meeting, Ethiopian Minister of Agriculture, H.E AtoTefera Derbew, said that without a successful agricultural transformation, it would be difficult to sustain agricultural growth.
"Agriculture transformation should still be high on the agenda and efforts should be exerted to include production and productivity to provide livelihood, raise income and create jobs and wealth," he said.
Minister Derbew also commended the AU for declaring 2014 as the Year of Agriculture and Food Security noting that it would be an opportunity to review past CAADP implementation challenges and would afford stakeholders the chance to identify what works and to chart the way forward for the next decade.
AUC Commissioner for Rural Economy and Agriculture, H.E Tumusiime Rhoda Peace, applauded AU Member States for driving the CAADP agenda in their countries, thereby demonstrating ownership and leadership.
She expressed her delight that to date, 40 African Countries had signed CAADP compacts, many of which have credible National Investment Plans under implementation.
Mrs. Tumusiime noted that it was now more important than ever, not only to sustain the momentum of raising agricultural growth, but also to put in place a robust system of social protection that productively integrates vulnerable social groups to the growth agenda.
"Since our focus is on implementation for results and impact, we will emphasize on key instruments to help us achieve this objective and we will largely focus on monitoring and reporting progress in line with jointly agreed commitments and targets as well as mutual accountability," she said.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Avoid contaminating seed super boxes in handling
- U.N. warns food security a risk to Asia-Pacific
- Ag markets ended Tuesday in mixed fashion once again.
- Vietnam cuts rice export price floor, eyes Manila tender
- Ag markets turned decidedly mixed Tuesday morning
- Calculations for March 1 corn stocks estimate
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Julie Borlaug says biotech is necessary in fight against hunger
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- CLA responds to EPA’s proposed worker protection standard
Layco Declining Weight Blend System