APHIS updates biotech regulatory petitions
In addition, APHIS is making available its final plant pest risk assessment, final environmental analysis, and determination of nonregulated status for the following petition:
- Rootworm-resistant corn (Syngenta)
More information can be found at www.aphis.usda.gov/biotechnology/news.shtml. The public comment period will close 60 days after the date of publication of APHIS’ notice of availability in the Federal Register.
Extensions of Nonregulated Status
APHIS also posted to the Agency’s website today its decision to extend nonregulated status for the following product:
- Herbicide-tolerant cotton (Bayer)
In addition, the Agency is making available for a 30-day public review and comment period a
plant pest risk assessment, environmental assessment, and preliminary determination of nonregulated status for the following product:
- Herbicide-tolerant corn (Stine Seeds)
These two GE products are similar to products that have previously completed APHIS review. APHIS determined the two products are unlikely to pose a plant pest risk after completing the following: thorough evaluations of the extension requests for nonregulated status and review of plant pest risk assessments and environmental assessments.
For the latter product, provided that public comments do not raise additional issues that need to be addressed by APHIS, the Agency would publish a final determination of regulatory status in the Federal Register.
Further information on these products and APHIS’ determinations can be found at www.aphis.usda.gov/biotechnology/news.shtml. The public comment period will close 30 days after the date of publication of APHIS’ notice of availability in the Federal Register.
Other Regulatory Actions
APHIS is making available today a petition for nonregulated status, along with the Agency’s Notice of Intent to prepare an environmental impact statement, for the following product:
- Freeze-tolerant eucalyptus (ArborGen)
APHIS is making available the petition and the Notice of Intent to prepare an environmental impact statement for the GE eucalyptus tree for a 60 day public review and comment period. APHIS will hold a series of online virtual meetings to solicit public comment. Information on those meetings is available at http://www.aphisvirtualmeetings.com/. Following the comment period, the Agency will thoroughly review public comments and carefully consider input as it proceeds with developing an environmental impact statement for the GE eucalyptus.
Finally, APHIS is also seeking public comment on a proposed rule to amend the Agency’s regulations by adding provisions and safeguards for sharing certain confidential business information (CBI) with State and Tribal agencies. This proposal is intended to improve APHIS’ and its State and Tribal regulatory partners’ review of permits and notifications for regulated GE organisms, improve oversight of GE introductions, and strengthen APHIS’ compliance activities. CBI submitted by the developers of regulated GE organisms will be safeguarded from inappropriate public release. The proposal will be open for a 60 day public comment period following publication in the Federal Register. More information can be found at www.aphis.usda.gov/biotechnology/news.shtml.
Questions & Answers
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Dry weather, biofuel mandate to boost palm prices in 2014
- 2014 Farm Bill: Reallocating base acreage
- FAS administrator talks world ag export situation
- The Beige Book is out. The agriculture picture is not rosy
- New precision potassium fertilizer from AgroLiquid
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Look at how the rice scheme made Thailand unstable
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Growth Points: Big data is about to get even bigger