White mold in soybeans a concern across Midwest
“Last year, in Wisconsin numerous products were evaluated for white mold control in soybean,” Smith says.
Results of this trial can be viewed on the summary found at fyi.uwex.edu/fieldcroppathology/files/2013/11/2013-Fungicide-Test-Summary.pdf. Scroll down to pages 6 and 7.
“Consistent with results of the NCERA-137 research, our Wisconsin research identified several products having a rating of ‘good’ for white mold management, including Aproach, Endura, and Proline,” Smith says. “If using fungicides for white mold management, keep in mind that efficacy may be based on the ability of the fungicide to penetrate into the canopy, and the timing of the fungicide application.Fungicides will be most effective at reducing the impact of white mold when applied at, or close to, growth stage R1.”
Wisconsin research data indicates that fungicides applied up to growth stage R3 (early pod – pods are 3/16-inch long at one of the four uppermost nodes) may be effective, but later applications will likely not be effective at reducing disease. Once symptoms of white mold are evident, fungicides will have no effect on reducing the disease. Fungicide applications for white mold management may be most useful on fields where varieties rated as susceptible to white mold are planted in a field with a history of the disease.
“If a soybean field is diagnosed with high levels of white mold, this field should be harvested last,” Smith says. “This will help reduce the movement of the survival structures of the white mold fungus by harvesting equipment, to fields that are not infested. Also, be sure to clean all harvesting equipment thoroughly at the end of the season to avoid inadvertent infestation of fields.”
Read more on soybean white mold at fyi.uwex.edu/fieldcroppathology/2014/07/01/managing-white-mold-in-soybean. There is also a University of Wisconsin Cooperative Extension video that shows symptoms of white mold and discusses management options for the disease. The video can be found on YouTube at www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2qFTJyX_P0.
- Junge Control introduces Zone Automation
- UAV maker PrecisionHawk receives $10 million in financing
- Tool helps track insects blowing in the wind
- FAO calls for “paradigm shift” toward sustainable agriculture
- Newly revised “Midwest Cover Crops Field Guide” released
- Weed seed present at harvest offers weed control opportunity
- U.S. GMO labeling foes triple spending in first half of this year
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- Activists fighting Golden Rice even more in 2014
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- East-West Seed signs marketing collaboration with Monsanto