World Food Prize Laureate: Innovation, communication needed
“Biotechnology crops make farming more productive and mitigate agriculture’s impact on our environment by reducing soil erosion, conserving water and reducing other agricultural inputs,” Fraley said. “We are still at the tip of the iceberg as new biotechnology traits are being developed for managing pest challenges, and new products have the potential to enable us to reduce the impact of drought and enhance yield and nutrition.”
Thirty years of research has validated the safety of biotechnology products, Fraley said, but Monsanto and others in the scientific community need to do more to share information and answer questions from those with concerns.
“Working together as an industry we need to share more background and more information on food innovation and GMO safety with the millions of people out there who have legitimate questions,” Fraley said. “We want anyone with an interest in nutritious, affordable and available food to have complete, accurate information.”
Monsanto has committed to ongoing dialogue with groups that represent consumers, farmers, environmentalists and others who are addressing food security and safety.
“We need to do much better discussing, promoting and sustaining an honest discussion around the food issues that confront our changing world,” Fraley added. “The topic is too important and people care too deeply to segment and confine this subject to audiences separated by misconceptions. Monsanto doesn’t have all the answers but I can promise you that we will collaborate, dialogue and work together to do what it takes to move this discussion forward – that’s our commitment.”
- Scout for aphids in winter wheat
- El Niño development stalled out, but wet winter still predicted
- Ag markets posted divergent closes Wednesday
- Farm bill program to help farmers affected by severe weather
- Israel panel proposes 25-42% tax hike on mining companies
- Ag markets moved almost unanimously higher Wednesday morning
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- Ag markets made a generally mixed showing Thursday night
- What is the relationship between maturity group, yield?