ISU changes potassium recommendations
As post-harvest soil test and fertilization season begins, gowers and ag retailers need to be aware that Iowa State University recently announced changes to potassium (K) fertility guidelines based on moist soil measurements. These may be viewed online at:
While it has been known for decades that drying can change the chemistry of soil, altering the amount of extractable potassium (K), it's just been in the last two years that Solum entered the market with a commercially viable process measuring soil in its field moist state.
The new potassium (K) recommendations document from Iowa State notes, "Research has indicated that the moist K test is more reliable than the test based on dried samples and is a better predictor of crop K fertilizaton need."
click image to zoom Speaking at a mid-year conference, Iowa State Professor of Soil science and Nutrient Management, Dr. Antonio Mallarino, reminded the audience that soil test interpretation classes should be understood in terms of probability of response. “The amounts of K extracted can differ greatly between moist and dried samples, and the differences change greatly across soil series, the soil-test K levels, and soil conditions related to drainage and moisture content cycles.” While other tests are still available for potassium, he noted that they encourage the use of the moist test for K because it has more predictive value and a more consistent meaning across different soils and conditions.
Solum Inc. opened a moist soil measurement facility in Ames Iowa in 2012 to offer this test and other advanced measurements. In collaboration with Winfield Solutions, Mosaic, and other industry partners, it has conducted trials in more than 15 states and four countries.
For more information visit www.solum.ag.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
No matching related articles at this time.
- Avoid contaminating seed super boxes in handling
- U.N. warns food security a risk to Asia-Pacific
- Ag markets ended Tuesday in mixed fashion once again.
- Vietnam cuts rice export price floor, eyes Manila tender
- Ag markets turned decidedly mixed Tuesday morning
- Calculations for March 1 corn stocks estimate
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Julie Borlaug says biotech is necessary in fight against hunger
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Panama says 'go' to GM mosquito evaluation