DuPont Pioneer widens insect protection options
Challenges with corn rootworm (CRW) have growers evaluating their insect management options for next season. Recognizing the need for more choices in insect control, DuPont Pioneer in 2014 will offer an expanded line up of Optimum AcreMax Xtra and Optimum AcreMax XTreme products.
These products provide below-ground insect protection from CRW, as well as above-ground pests such as corn borer. In addition to an increased number of products, Optimum AcreMax Xtra and Optimum AcreMax XTreme hybrids will be available in more geographies and maturity zones.
“CRW populations have a long history of adapting to control methods and because of that the industry needs to look at all options and manage this pest vigilantly,” says Reed Mayberry, DuPont Pioneer senior corn marketing manager. “With products like Optimum AcreMax Xtra more widely available in 2014, growers are able select options tailored to different levels of insect pressure.”
The combined trait protection found in Optimum AcreMax Xtra includes Herculex XTRA insect traits (combining Herculex I insect protection for above-ground control and Herculex RW for CRW control), and the YieldGard Corn Borer trait for additional above-ground insect control.
Optimum AcreMax XTreme features the Herculex I insect protection and the YieldGard Corn Borer trait for dual trait above-ground control. For below-ground insect control, Optimum AcreMax XTreme includes two modes of action to protect from CRW; the Herculex RW trait and the Agrisure RW trait.
“By using multiple modes of action, we can help extend the long-term viability of in-plant insect protection,” Mayberry says.
Both corn products integrate a high-yielding Pioneer brand hybrid with a similar non-Bt hybrid acting as the in-the-bag refuge. So there is no need to plant a separate refuge; in the Corn Belt it’s just one simple pass across the field.
"Integrated refuge helps assure that Corn Belt refuge requirements are met, reducing the potential for development of insect resistance while working to extend the durability of in-plant protection technologies," Mayberry says.
Another advantage for growers is the herbicide tolerant traits found in the Optimum AcreMax Xtra and Optimum AcreMax XTreme products including the Roundup Ready® corn 2 and Liberty Link® traits. These herbicide resistance traits are also found in the hybrids acting as refuge plants.
Each Optimum AcreMax Xtra and Optimum AcreMax XTreme product includes Pioneer Premium Seed Treatment to provide corn growers with beneficial seedling protection ensuring that every seed counts in achieving a successful harvest.
- Sign-up begins for USDA disaster assistance programs
- Grain futures lagged the other ag markets Wednesday
- Pacific Coast Terminals and K+S Potash Canada sign agreement
- Soy, cotton futures led the ag markets Wednesday morning
- Monthly fertilizer prices: Comparing 2014 through 2009
- USDA releases April water supply forecast for the West
- Commentary: Blame anti-GMO groups for deaths
- Julie Borlaug says biotech is necessary in fight against hunger
- Climate change will reduce crop yields sooner than we thought
- What does “sustainable” food and agriculture really mean?
- Ohio bill to require certification to apply fertilizer
- Carbon-dioxide hurts nitrogen assimilation by plants