Root health from the perspective of seed treatment development
What means do you use to make the root system visible to the grower?
During the development of VIBRANCE® seed treatment to protect against Rhizoctonia, we often took the growers and colleagues to the field, dug out roots and looked at them. This gave growers and colleagues something tangible and increased their awareness of the effect soilborne pathogens can have on roots when you don’t protect them (e.g. with a seed treatment). Meanwhile, there are also scientific methods to visualize roots, such as the Rhizotrone technique or various X-ray imaging techniques.
In September Syngenta hosts its second international Root Health Forum, this one in Beijing. Plus there have been seven regional meetings during the last year. What is the idea behind these Forums?
There are several ideas behind the Root Health Forums. The Forums bring experts from various fields of research and regions together and trigger discussions around Root Health, the different threats to it and possible improvements of Root Health in general. The Forums also bring awareness to this topic in the scientific community. For Syngenta, it’s important to demonstrate the commitment to Root Health and improve the link and collaborations with the scientific community. We also hope to get a better feeling for where the biggest need for solutions might be and ideally bring up new ideas together for improving Root Health in the future.
Monika Scheller was interviewed by Dr. Melanie Goll, Network Community Manager for Syngenta.
- Irrigation Association to release online courses with Cal Poly
- Monsanto to invest $120 million in Argentina
- Ag markets ended Tuesday mostly lower
- Fat molecules influence function of key photosynthesis protein
- Monsanto honored for efforts in developing agriculture in Vietnam
- Corn stocks top 1.2 billion bushels
- U.S. GMO labeling foes triple spending in first half of this year
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- Activists fighting Golden Rice even more in 2014
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- East-West Seed signs marketing collaboration with Monsanto