2013 weather: Wet but not necessarily wild
Overall, the year was warmer – but wetter – than average for much of the Lower 48 and had seven disasters exceed $1 billion in damages. Click here to see a summary of 2013’s disasters.
The Weather Channel reports weather in 2013 appears mild in comparison to 2011’s deadly torrent of tornadoes and 2012’s devastating Hurricane Sandy, nation-wide drought and record-setting heat.
However, in 2013, no hurricanes made landfall in the U.S., and the long-standing drought finally abated across much of the nation. And, as the Weather channel notes, the daily record temperatures outnumbered daily record highs for the first time in 20 years.
But as Marshall Shepherd, director of the atmospheric sciences program at the University of Georgia, said in an email conversation with The Weather Channel, the number of extreme weather events in 2013 may have been smaller, but they did leave their mark.
“I think relative to 2011 and 2012, (2013 was) perhaps more quiet, but is this a statement in itself about our calibration to the new normal,” Shepherd said. “I am not sure, but after a child runs a fever of 105, does a fever of 103 cause a sigh of relief? I can't help but think along these lines when I hear the comparisons to 2011 (and) 2012.”
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Dry weather, biofuel mandate to boost palm prices in 2014
- 2014 Farm Bill: Reallocating base acreage
- FAS administrator talks world ag export situation
- The Beige Book is out. The agriculture picture is not rosy
- New precision potassium fertilizer from AgroLiquid
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Panama says 'go' to GM mosquito evaluation
- Conference to address “What’s Next for Farmland Values”
Declining Weigh Blend System
Ranco Fertiservice Inc.