2013 Extension Cotton Specialist of the Year named
click image to zoomDr. Randy Norton, University of Arizona, was named the 2013 Extension Cotton Specialist of the Year at the 2013 Beltwide Cotton Conferences in San Antonio, Texas. The award is sponsored by Bayer CropScience. From left to right: Lee Rivenbark, global head of U.S. cotton, Bayer CropScience; Steve Nichols, U.S. agronomic services manager, Bayer CropScience; Dr. Randy Norton, University of Arizona; and Susan Norton. Randy Norton, Ph.D., associate professor and Regional Extension Specialist with the University of Arizona, has been recognized by his peers from across the Cotton Belt by being selected as the 2013 Extension Cotton Specialist of the Year, a Bayer CropScience-sponsored event at the Beltwide Cotton Conferences since 2008.
Norton received the award at the Extension Cotton Specialists annual dinner banquet on Jan. 9 during the 2013 Beltwide Cotton Conferences in San Antonio. The annual award and banquet has been a featured event at the Beltwide Cotton Conferences since 1984. Extension cotton specialists representing every cotton-producing state select a winner annually based on leadership and industry service.
“Dr. Norton is a committed professional. He directs a well-integrated agronomic research and Extension program with a strong emphasis on irrigated cotton production,” said Jeff Silvertooth, Ph.D., Associate Dean and Director for Economic Development and Extension for University of Arizona College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
Silvertooth noted that the research efforts of Norton, who has served as editor of their Extension’s cotton variety testing guide, have been timely and had a lasting effect on the cotton growers in his area. “His greatest impact has come in the way of up-to-date and relevant variety testing information that is regionally based,” Silvertooth explained. “Randy does an outstanding job of incorporating his applied research into his Extension education program.”
Norton is currently the director of the Safford Agricultural Center, which provides research and service to farmers in Graham, Greenlee and Cochise counties. In his current position, he provides educational assistance aimed at increasing the effectiveness, competitiveness and profitability of farmers. In addition to agronomy, Norton’s areas of expertise also include applied research, horticulture, livestock and natural resources.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Dry weather, biofuel mandate to boost palm prices in 2014
- 2014 Farm Bill: Reallocating base acreage
- FAS administrator talks world ag export situation
- The Beige Book is out. The agriculture picture is not rosy
- New precision potassium fertilizer from AgroLiquid
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Panama says 'go' to GM mosquito evaluation
- Conference to address “What’s Next for Farmland Values”
R&R Minuteman Blend System
R&R Manufacturing Inc.