New Bayer CEO calls for greener revolution
The third element was an increased focus on climate-smart solutions. One example is how Bayer CropScience is working to reduce methane gas emissions from rice cultivation, said Condon. "Standard rice growing methods rely on much water, and - due to favourable conditions for anaerobic bacteria in waterlogged soil - this generates around four times the amount of methane emissions as wheat and maize," he noted. "We have developed a range of rice solutions; these include hybrid seeds,new crop protection products, technology and training, and also climate-smart features requiring less water and emitting less methane."
Another way forward for a Greener Revolution is to enhance health through better nutrition, Condon said. "With one-third of the world’s children not growing to their full potential due to insufficient nutrition, biofortification is one important way to boost a crop’s nutrient uptake of zinc, iron and iodine," Condon said. Bayer CropScience is already working with organizations including Harvest Plus to enhance the nutritional value of crops.
The last step of the five-point plan outlined by Condon focusses on expanding collaborations with a stronger focus on execution. "While the private sector continues to invest in science, products and services to help enhance food security and rural development, wider challenges - such as insufficient education and training; political and economic instability; poor infrastructure; as well as loose legal frameworks - call for the collective efforts of all multi-stakeholders," he said.
The Global Forum for Food and Agriculture is an international political forum focusing on central issues regarding the future of the global agri-food industry. It is among the key highlights of the International Green Week - the leading public exhibition for food, agriculture and horticulture which attracts more than 400,000 visitors annually.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- El Niño could strike as early as summer
- Fertilizer in small doses yields higher returns for less money
- Research shows GM crops safe, no special labeling needed
- Canada orders railways to boost grain shipments to ease logjam
- New soil health toolbox evaluates plant available nutrients
- Spectacular economic growth in China has a downside: drought
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Panama says 'go' to GM mosquito evaluation
- Update on the world’s 15 largest seed banks
Junge Control Inc.