Biggest U.S. farm group calls for immigration reform
But Grassley said there did not seem to be compromise at this point on the wide range of sentiment on immigration, from providing a clear path to citizenship to deportation of the millions of illegal aliens now in the country.
If Congress improves the guest worker program, he said, "I think you'd find these people willing to go home and come back legally."
FARM GROUP OPPOSES CROP INSURANCE LIMITS
Also during Tuesday's policy-setting session, the 362 Farm Bureau delegates from a cross the country voted to:
- oppose any limit to the premium subsidy for crop insurance, as well as income eligibility or payment limits for the program. The Senate voted 66-33 in 2012 to reduce the premium subsidy for growers with more than $750,000 in adjusted gross income, but the idea did not become law. The government pays 62 cents of each $1 of premium.
- give Farm Bureau leaders more latitude in working with Congress to overhaul the farm program. House and Senate farm bills died at the end of 2012 partly because of a fight pitting rice and peanut growers who wanted higher crop supports against wheat, corn and soybean farmers who wanted a new program that protects grower revenue.
"We're trying to keep all options open," said Phil Nelson, president of the Illinois Farm Bureau.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- 2014 Farm Bill: Reallocating base acreage
- FAS administrator talks world ag export situation
- The Beige Book is out. The agriculture picture is not rosy
- New precision potassium fertilizer from AgroLiquid
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- USDA’s budget proposal: How will you be impacted?
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Look at how the rice scheme made Thailand unstable
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Growth Points: Big data is about to get even bigger