S&W Seed Company announces the advancement of 45 new varieties for the dormant and non-dormant alfalfa seed market to its proprietary seed portfolio, including varieties developed for multiple pest resistance, forage quality and yield, which S&W has not previously marketed in the past. The development of these new varieties for the dormant alfalfa seed market is a result of S&W’s internal research and development group, which combines the expertise of three of the industry’s leading alfalfa product development teams: S&W, Pioneer and Seed Genetics International (SGI).
S&W’s newly developed dormant varieties include those with the following traits:
- High resistance to Aphanomyces root rot race 1 & 2, highest in the industry giving life of stand protection to this pest compared to relying on seedling fungicides;
- High resistance to alfalfa stem nematode;
- Tolerance to lodging; and
- Highest disease resistance index possible in many products (DRI=35).
S&W’s newly developed non-dormant varieties include those with the following traits:
- Improved disease resistance for most pests including Anthracnose, Phytopthora root rot, Aphanomyces, Verticillium wilt, stem nematode, aphids (pea, spot, blue, black), and;
- The industry’s highest salt tolerance.
More information on the varieties is available at www.swseedco.com.